Friday, December 07, 2007

Stereotypical

Even today, lot of men (let me be specific, this applies mostly to Indian men) marry women with the following "taken for granted" assumptions:-

- My wife will cook delicious lunch/dinner for me while I watch my favorite movie on TV sleeping on the couch.

- My wife will be a kshmayadaritri (The Forgiving Earth). She will be patient, she will endure all the pain, she will forgive my impatience, my foolishness..she will accept my follies, pray for my good and support me with whatever I want to do in life

- My wife will keep my parents happy. She will be an obedient daughter-in-law and listen to whatever my parents have to say. She will cook with my mother, help her with the chores, makes coffee for my dad and serves me bed coffee every morning.

- My wife will dress up like a doll on festivals, will socialize with my friends and will attend parties with me.

- My wife will be a close friend of my sister/brother. She treats them like her own siblings.

- My wife depends on me to take her to office, manage her bills, manage her finances.

Even as they are happily busy imagining their future with their stereotypical wives, they completely ignore the following facts:-

- Your wife also works as hard as you at office and comes back at around the same time. She definitely needs a helping hand in kitchen

- Just like how you expect her to be patient, you should also be patient, forgiving and accept as she is.

- She also has parents. It does not work anymore that you are only ready to accept her as part of the family and not her own parents.

- She also has her set of friends, parties, social events that you have to be a part of.

- She also has siblings just like you do.

- She is an independent woman with a career of her own and can manage her life pretty well with or without you. All she needs is moral support.

I am not generalizing all the men in the above category. It only hurts that some men are still conservative as much as their fathers and fore fathers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.